We’ve just enjoyed the first weekend of National Bike Month and the warm temps brought lots of people outside to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. With that in mind, we’d like to share some tips (and reminders) to help keep you and your family safe on Iowa’s roads and trails.
While on the roads…
- ALWAYS wear a bicycle helmet!
- Ride in the right lane except when passing another vehicle, preparing for a left turn or to avoid hazards on the road.
- NEVER ride against traffic, always ride WITH the flow of traffic.
- Obey ALL traffic signs and signals. Use Hand signals to advise motorists or other bicyclists you plan to turn, change lanes or stop.
- MAKE EYE CONTACT with motorists and NEVER assume a motorist sees you or that you have the right-of-way (even if you do).
- Expect the unexpected such as Parked vehicles pulling into traffic, vehicle doors opening into your path, and debris or other hazards on the road.
- At night (and at dusk) use a headlight (or 2), taillight and reflectors.
(the rules above were adapted from the Iowa Department of Transportation brochure)
While on the trails…
- Observe all posted signs.
- Use your head and wear a helmet.
- Go with the flow and stay to the right side of the trail.
- Stay clear of the trail when you’re stopped.
- Signal turns or stops.
- Announce to others on the trail
- Show respect for adjacent property.
- If you cycle with your dog, please remember they must be on a leash.
As National Bike to Work Week approaches (May 11-15, 2015), we’d also like to suggest that you have your bike serviced after the long winter. A well-maintained bike will help ensure you have an enjoyable and comfortable experience on the roads and trails. The following bike shops in Cedar Falls can help you. Or, ask them what classes are available to help you maintain your own bicycle.
Bike Tech, 319-266-5979, www.biketechcf.com, 217 Washington Street
Europa Cycle & Ski, 319-277-0734, www.europacycle.com, 4302 University Avenue #E
Scheels All Sports, 319-277-3033, www.scheels.com/shop/ScheelsBikeRepairView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151, 402 Viking Road
The Cedar Falls Public Library will offer a free clinic by the Cedar Valley Bike Collective called Get Your Bike Ready for Summer, on Saturday, May 16. The class will start at 2pm at the library. No need to bring your bike into the library, materials will be provided for this hands-on class.319-273-8643, http://www.cedar-falls.lib.ia.us/archive/2015/may2015/bike2/view, 524 Main Street
As always, if we can help, give us a call at the Cedar Falls Tourism & Visitors Bureau at 1-800-845-1955 or 319-268-4266.